On Sunday is the 1st of May: Portugal celebrates Mother’s Day and International Workers’ Day which is a public holiday. What a better day to get to discover the new installations and events that are opening in Lisbon? There are loads of cool activities and markets, but also theater shows, movies, festivals, and workshops.
Here is my selection for this month, but you find more in my Lisbon with kids Agenda. Ready for the fun?
1. The independent film festival IndieLisboa it’s happening this first week of May, and it has a full section for kids called IndieJunior: short movies for little ones and special sessions for kids of different ages! IndieJunior is throwing a big party this Saturday 30th of April at Biblioteca do Palaçio Galveias, with live music, a plastic expression workshop another surprises.
2. Quinta Azenhas is organizing a nice Mother’s day activity this weekend: Mindful Marbling workshop, infusion, snacks, and skincare pop-up by Herbes Folles, while kids and another accompanying adult will be part of a floral thank you workshop.
3. Sound It. Rádio Antecâmara & Os Novos Novos is a music installation for toddlers and kids happening fortnightly at CCB Garagem Sul by lovely Coletivo Baileia.
4. Coletivo Pro Escola Italiana (which I am part of) is organizing events for Italian speaking kids and their families: this weekend it’s time for our first Pomeriggio in Famiglia, a moment for families to get together and for kids to play; we will also exchange Italian kids’ books.
5. Vhils solo Exhibition is on at MAAT Museum: a visual collection of people from all over the world.
6. Walpurgis Night – Quinta da Corrieira Fundraising for Ukraine’s Refugees : Quinta da Corrieira is organizing a dense fundraising event with music, activities for kids and a bonfire, all pair with their best wine
7. World Firefighters Games are a thing and this year’s edition is happening in Lisbon starting April 30th until May 7th! It’s free to attend, just check the program and grab your tickets directly at the Estadio Universitario.
8. My Little One and Me is a music activity for staying-at-home babies age 4-30 months, organized by Music Room and led by singer Sahida Apsara: it takes place on Wednesdays and Fridays morning 10-11
9. THE MINI MARKET POP-UP is a great occasion to buy pre-loved quality clothes for kids age 0-12 of selected brands. Do you have clothes to sell? DM Mieke on Instagram with pictures of the pieces: check the list of accepted brands
10. DISNEY IN CONCERT: MAGICAL MUSIC FROM THE MOVIES, a special event with the Lisbon Film Orchestra performing live some of the most renowned soundtrack of Disney Movies w
12. Quinta Azenhas Herbes Follies Workshop is A 3 Hour Workshop with Herbes Folles that harnesses the Power of Wild Plants for your Skin.
13. Gerações de Liberdade Festival is a festival organized by Freguesia Penha da França and Gerador to celebrate the anniversary of Liberation.
14. O Canto Da Baleia by Mosaico Collective will be back on May 14th at Bota do Anjos with two shows.
15. FIMFA Lx22 – Festival Internacional de Marionetas e Formas Animadas is one of the most important festivals of puppetry and theatre in Portugal:
16. Jardins Aberto is one of the coolest festival in Lisbon: it gives people possibilities to visit gardens that are usually not accessible. Check their program that spans over the course of two different weekends.
17. Puppet Workshop at Lu.Ca Teatro. A workshop for building puppetry from objects: the challenge is based on the creation of characters using the agglomeration of objects from the most varied origins, more or less suggestive, that allow the development of a functional and expressive puppet.
18. Maria do Mar is organizing different workshops at their Warehouse in Alvalade: this month, Crocanature Workshop with Cláudia | Learn how to make “grandmother’s soap” and ecological detergents (+12) and Workshop Plastic arts da Mafalda | “O Caderno do EU” (+5)
19. Quinta Azenha Souldough Bread workshop is A Bread Making Masterclass from Souldough’s Master Baker Sat Karam Singh in Azenhas do Mar
20. Stylista Market Summmer is a great lifestyle market organized by designer and blogger Maria Guedes. Many Portuguese brands, food, and fun for the whole family.
These are just the highlights of the event that will happen over the month: there is more in the agenda and more will come over the course of the month!
Is there something cool happening that you didn’t find in this agenda? Add them in the comment or send me and email, I will be happy to add it!
Hope you have fun