Soon will be December, and this year there are a few bank holidays in Portugal that will give us longer weekend, and what a better day to get enjoy the new installations and events that are happening in Lisbon? There are loads of Christmas activities and markets, but also theater and workshops.
Here is my selection for this month, but you find more in my Lisbon with kids Agenda (getting updated for Christmas 2023). Ready for the fun?
- Enjoy the ongoing videomapping installations at Reservatorio Patriarcal: Impressive Monet & Brilliant Klimt, Mysterious Egypt at Immersivus Gallery Lisbon and the latest festive addition Dalí Cybernetics: The Immersive Experience. The 3 installations happen on alternate schedule every day (except Mondays), so you can check them all in one sit (last about 30 minutes each).
- If you are looking for a Christmas Tree, be sure to check Horta do Campo Grande or El Corte Ingles: more options for real and Christmas trees are included in my list Lisbon with kids Christmas tips.
- Magical Garden: Aladin will be open until end of December at Palacio Queluz in Sintra, and now it’s probably a good time to visit. If you can’t go in the evening, you can always check the garden during the day, and see the installations (without light, of course).
- Are you a fan of Ice skating, or do you want to introduce it to the kids? You should go to Ubbo Ice Resort, where you can find a Ice skate rink, Winter and Christmas vibe, to together with other great activities for kids, and nice restaurants.
- Wonderland Lisboa is back after a year break: a Christmas village with free entrance, a panoramic wheel (don’t bring the stroller if you want to go on it) ice skate rink, carousels food and artisanal vendors and plenty of fun for the whole family. Open from 30th November.
- Rossio Christmas Market and Santas train: a one-month-long Christmas Market with food and artisanal vendor. You can also catch the little Santa train for free right next to the market and enjoy a ride to appreciate Baixa and the Christmas lights.
- Plug-in by Joana Vasconcelos at MAAT: it’s the best program for a rainy day. An colorful exhibition that took over the whole Museum for adults kids all age: check the Mercantina Restaurant for a brunch on weekends, but only until 12.00.
- Music Room is organizing a Fun Days Winter camp for kids 5-8 YO during upcoming bank holidays.
- Cirque du Soleil returns to Lisbon this year, with the relaunch of the OVO show, one of the company’s most exciting and colorful shows. With three new acts and new characters, this unique show will be at Altice Arena between December 20th and 30th, 2023.
- Urban REvolution is an exhibit of Portuguese and foreign street artists working in Portugal. Only open until December 3rd
- If you are looking for a Christmas themed getaway, you should definitely check Vila Natal in Obidos: a fortified city 40 minutes from Lisbon that become a Christmas village for the month of December
- Do you like going to the Teather? Check FIONA E SEREIA NO MUNDO DAS CORES and É NATAL OUTRA VEZ – O MUSICAL at Boutique da Cultura – Benfica, or Madagascar (Oeiras) and The Beauty and the Beast (CCB Belem) by Yellow Star Company
- Reino Natal in Sintra is a perfect full immersion in the Christmas vibe, right 30 minutes by train or car from Lisbon: Santa village, Christmas market, plenty of workshops and events for the kids and the whole village is covered in lights.
- An International Circus will be in town, perfoming at Coliseo dos Recreios in December: from 10/12 til 26/12. From 3 YO and above.
- Nature Play Collective Workshops and camps are about connecting to nature. Check their IG page for more info
More Christmas market happening in December in and outside of Lisbon
- Mercado Design & Craft in Jardim da Estrela on weekend 2nd/3rd December.
- Cascais Christmas Village will be bigger and more fun: also happening Cascais Christmas On Tour Train and Panoramic Wheel on the Cascais Bay. For the full program check this website
- On the other side of the bridge you will find Aldeia de Natal in Seixal
- Perlim in Santa Maria da Feria (Coimbra): the biggest Christmas village in Portugal, ideal for the upcoming long weekend (1-3/12 and 8-10/12)
This post may contain some affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission given by the ticketing service of some attractions and museums.
I only recommend places I went and would go myself and all opinions expressed here are my own.